Your first time at a gym can be a scary experience. Especially if you have never set foot in one before. Here are a few hints and tips to take the fear out of your first trip.
Tip #1: What to bring.
- Bring £1 for the lockers & ensure your personal items are safe.
- Do bring a towel. Useful to dab your forehead or lay down on any machines you may use.
- A water bottle is essential.
- Once you are familiar with the gym and your workout programme you may wish to enjoy listening to your own music. Bring along your ipod/walkman Many people use arm bands or waist bands to put their devices in, a lot of workout clothing has built in electronic pockets now.
Tip #2: What to do upon your arrival.
- Check in at reception with your membership card
- Once you are changed and have stored your items in a locker (except towel and water bottle), head for the treadmill/bike to start your warm-up. This may be as far as you get on your first trip, but at least you’ve done something and feel a little more comfortable with the gym environment.
- The gym instructors are on hand to advise and help you so if you are not sure – please ask ☺
Tip #3: Be familiar with gym etiquette.
- If you want a more extensive tutorial on machines, or on working out in general, you can schedule a session with a personal trainer.
- Use a towel. Be sure to wipe off any before and after use.
- If you think someone is done with a machine, but they are still standing next to it, you should ask if they have finished or if they are happy for you to take it in turns doing sets on that particular machine.
- Wear appropriate attire. Comfortable, supportive, sensible clothing that you can easily move in.
- Re-rack your weights when you have finished using them.
Tip #4 Go with a friend!
What better way to tackle the unknown than with a friend! This way you’ll have someone to try new things with. You can take a class, or schedule a personal training session together, and, if you make it a regular date, you can hold each other accountable.
Remember, the gym is going to be filled with other people just like you, other first-time gym goers; and, keep in mind, most people at the gym are so concerned with themselves, they are not the least bit concerned with what you’re doing!
So, we look forward to seeing you soon!
* * * * * * * *
Check out our #quicktipvid of a crosstraining interval programme