Learn to swim with Swimming Academy
You can learn to swim at any age. For those wanting to start swimming we offer learn to swim classes for all age groups from parent & baby through to adults. All of our lessons are taught by qualified instructors who will help to develop confidence both in and around the water.
Our lessons follow the Amateur Swimming Association's (ASA), Learn to Swim framework. This uses fun and games to take children from the first splash to full competence in the pool and will ultimately help your child develop confidence in the water.
The ASAs Learn to Swim Programme guides your child through ten clearly defined stages, and there's a foundation level to get babies as young as four-months-old started. All of the ASA Learn to Swim Programme is supported by the Kellogg's ASA Awards scheme.
We also have a number of developmental sessions for children that have achieved the higher levels and want to keep swimming. These include Rookie Lifguards and Synchronised Swimming.
Christmas Holidays 2016
The last lesson will be on the Sunday 18th December 2016.
Lessons will start again on Tuesday 3rd January 2017.
Track your child's progress
Reflecting our commitment to continuously improving the delivery of swimming lessons, we are investing in the latest technology to record the performance of children during their lessons.
Through an internet based Home Portal parents/guardians will be able to access information about your child’s swimming lessons including:
- Your child’s performance against the key competencies for their course level E.g. Swim 100m efficient backstroke.
- A rating from the teacher on how they are doing against this competency E.g. Needs practice / Fair / Good
- Notification of when your child is ready to move up a level and the ability to choose from the available times for your child to move into
- Record of all assessments and pass dates for each level
On the home page on the right hand side there is a button called track course progress, click on this and it will take you on to a new page, click on register now.
You will need the parents / guardians membership number, this is easily available from Reception. You will then need to add the parents/ guardians date of birth, emails address or postcode.
Then the names of the children will appear. Click on that’s everyone and proceed to finish button.
It will then ask you to create a password. Once you have done this it will be automatically emailed to you.
Once you have received this email press on the link and you will be able to log in.
You will now be able to view your child’s progress and from January 2017 make movements. In order to make class movements your child will need to have reached 100% and be deemed competent by their teacher to move into the next class. Sometimes they may reach 100% in the skills but still need to work on stamina in order to move up. You will receive a notification of when they are ready to move to prompt you. If you have any questions or need to move time and day mid stage please contact the swim co-ordinator to discuss.
New Lesson for Parent and Toddlers
Following on from our popular lesson at 8.30am we are now offering a lesson at 8.00am.Suitable for 18 months- 3 years. If you would like more information about this or to enrol please contact the swimming co-ordinators on 01403 219211.
Lessons can be enjoyed as a group or on a 1-to-1 basis. Call us on 01403 219200 to book individual lessons.
If you have a fear of the water, can’t get your face wet or panic just thinking about the deep end then it’s easy to think swimming is not for you.
But if you learn to swim you can have fun in the water with your friends, children and grandchildren. You can also make a splash in the water while on holiday.
The important thing to know is that you are not alone. One in five adults across the country can't swim - but it's never too late to learn. Most pools offer adult classes in a friendly and supportive environment.
The best thing to do is contact us for information on lessons for all ages.
If you are unsure about starting lessons, ask if you can watch a class or two to get a better idea of whether it's for you, or ask to speak with one of the teachers.
Most lessons take things at a slow pace - starting off with teaching you to how to stand up and regain your feet, float and swim without fear before being taught specific strokes.
We run a number of intensive learn to swim courses in the Easter and Summer holidays. For more information contact us for details.
Disabled Swimming Lessons
We offer swimming lessons for disabled children, supported by the West Sussex County Council Short Breaks Programme. Please call for current times, prices and availability.
- We aim to support as many needs as possible on our sessions and will work with you to adapt activities to be inclusive. If you have any concern or would like to discuss accessibility please call us on 01403 219200 and we would be happy to talk this through with you.
- Eligibility Criteria - Children should reside in West Sussex and be in receipt of either the higher or medium level of disability living allowance, this is a condition of our funding. Children should fit within the age ranges specified for each activity, some exceptions maybe possible, please call us on 01403 219200 to discuss.
- If you are interested in booking on to any of our activities please call us on 01403 219200. There will some short forms to fill out and payment will be required on booking.
- We often seek feedback on the service provided and from time to time you may be asked to complete a questionnaire on your experience and views on how we could improve. We would be grateful if you could take the time to complete these as an when you are asked.
- If you would like feedback on how your child or young person is doing please speak to the coaching staff that take your session. Alternatively ask to speak to the Swimming Co-ordinator who will be able to assist.
- We offer the following accessibility features at our Centre. Disabled parking bays at the front of the building, please display your blue badge. Accessible changing room, with toilet, shower, height adjustable changing bed and hoist system, moulded pool chair and pool hoist as well as easy access steps. If you have any concerns regarding accessibility please call us on 01403 219200.
- We run regular disability awareness training for front line staff and specialist staff hold the relevant qualifications to coach.
- If you have any concerns that can not be address with the staff delivering your session please contact the Swimming Co-ordinator on 01403 219200.
Contact us today on 01403 219200 for information about any of our lessons.