Get back to fitness with GP referral
Your prescription to a healthier lifestyle
If you have suffered from an illness, or recently had an operation, our exercise referral sessions will help you get back into fitness. Our qualified and friendly instructors will supervise you over a 10 week period.
To make use of this service, you will need a 'prescription to exercise' from your GP.
Did you know?
- Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) alone accounts for 110,000 deaths per year.
- Each year, 110,000 people have their first stroke and 30,000 people go on to have further strokes.
- Over 400,000 older people attend A&E departments following an accident and 14,000 people a year die in the UK as a result of an osteoporotic hip fracture.
- 41% of men and 33% of women have high blood pressure.
- An estimated 2.35 million people diagnosed with diabetes.
What is the Mid Sussex Exercise Referral Scheme?
Our exercise referral scheme provides a 10 week personalised exercise programme, devised and delivered to:
- Provide safe and effective exercise for patients with medical conditions.
- Promote physical, mental and social wellbeing through regular physical activity.
- Empower positive lifestyle changes, becoming active for life.
- Provide advice, motivation and support to patients who would benefit from increased physical activity.
The exercise referral scheme is delivered by a qualified exercise specialist at one of our local leisure centres, The Triangle in Burgess Hill, The Dolphin in Haywards Heath or Kings Centre in East Grinstead. It provides an excellent opportunity to address disease prevention and enhance quality of life.
Who is the exercise referral scheme for?
The exercise referral scheme is for patients who are aged 11 years or over who may have one of the following medical conditions and may be coupled with obesity:
- High Cholesterol
- Family History
- Arthritis, Osteoarthristis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Posth Phase IV Cardiac Rehab
- Joint Injury Rehabilitation
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)
- Mental Health
What are the benefits of improved physical activity?
Improved Health and Wellbeing
Regular physical activity decreases the risk of obesity, coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension, diabetes, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, back pain and cancer. It is an effective treatment for clinical depression, generlaised anxiety and stress.
It's medically proven that people who do regular physical activity have:
- Up to a 35% lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Up to a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes
- Up to a 50% lower risk of colon cancer
- Up to a 20% lower risk of breast cancer
- A 30% lower risk of early death
- Up to an 83% lower risk of osteoarthritis
- Up to a 68% lower risk of hip fracture
- A 30% lower risk of falls (among older adults)
- Up to a 30% lower risk of depression
- Up to a 30% lower risk of dementia
To find out more about the exercise referral programme, contact the team on 01444 876000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to visit one of our specialists and start your journey, please visit your GP and ask for a prescription to exercise.