Places for People Leisure will:
- Ensure that all staff are aware of the Company’s objectives and responsibilities in relation to Energy Use, Carbon Emissions, Renewable Resources, Environmental Waste and the Prevention of Pollution.
- Meet all relevant legal and statutory requirements, and also any voluntary requirements to which the company subscribes including ISO14001 and QUEST.
- Monitor all new and pending legislation and plan for effective and timely implementation.
- Work in partnership with our Local Authority Clients and seek to deliver their Environmental Policies and Objectives.
- Consider the viability of using sustainable forms of Energy in existing and new facilities.
- Implement and monitor appropriate systems and targets to measure and continually improve the Company’s Environmental performance.
- Positively promote the reduction of waste in accordance with the National Waste Strategy.
Photo Voltaic Panels at Godalming Leisure Centre
How are we doing?
- We have a Group Environmental Manager and a multi-disciplined Carbon Management Team.
- Government targets to secure a 34% reduction in carbon emissions by 2020 compared to 1990. We have already made a significant contribution.
- We currently purchase electricity that is generated from wind power, hydro-electric power and operate a large number of CHP units to generate electricity on site.
- Each centre receives direct training at workshops.
- Places for People Leisure has the highest QUEST scores for Environmental Management and Maintenance in the UK demonstrating our approach to delivering high standards.
- All centres have recycling in place and follow the strategy of AVOID, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE.
- Many of our centres provide community waste facilities such as bottle and clothing banks.
- Places for People Leisure not only operates leisure centres for local authorities but design and build them. Since 2006 we have successfully completed 9 new energy efficent buildings.
- Our Technical Design Guide ensures that only proven energy saving technology is considered for inclusion in a projects, ensuring that our carbon footprint remains as low as possible.
- Godalming Leisure Centre was awarded the ‘Best Sustainable Project ‘ in the National Building Excellence Awards 2013.
Our target for 2014/15 is a further 1% reduction in utility consumption at ALL our centres.