Health and Wellbeing
Improving my health
Our programmes support recovery, rehabilitation and your overall health and wellbeing.
If you have suffered an illness or recently had an operation our GP referral sessions will help you get back into fitness. You’ll need a ‘prescription to exercise’ from your doctor to get started and our instructors will support you through your sessions.
Your consultation and induction will include meeting with a qualified fitness professional who will assess your situation and design a safe, specific exercise program for your needs. The consultation and induction is free, as the cost is covered by Horsham District Council. You will then be able to access the gym at the following times at a discounted rate.
- Tuesdays 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- Wednesdays 6.00pm - 7.00pm
- Thursdays 11.00am - 1.00pm
- Fridays 7.00pm - 8.00pm
£4.10 per session
£73.80 20 sessions paid in advance.
Ask a member of the team for more information or call us on 01403 211311.
Download the Exercise Referral form for your GP to complete.
These sessions are suitable for anyone currently undergoing cancer treatment or those post treatment that want to get back into fitness, reduce their fatigue levels and rebuild strength.
Sessions are run by Becky Richards our Fitness Manager who is trained in Cancer Rehabilitation. An initial assessment with Becky is followed by twice weekly sessions to include a quick health check, 30-40 minute class session and a discussion session at the end including hot drinks to chat through progress. Participants are not committed to attend both sessions each week and we appreciate treatments and feeling unwell may prevent a regular schedule. We would just encourage people to come when they can.
- Wednesdays 12.00noon – 1.00pm
- Fridays 1.00pm – 2.00pm
A referral from a healthcare professional is required. Please download the Cancer Rehab referral form and complete with your GP, Consultant or MacMillan nurse.
If you have any further questions please email email@example.com or call us on 01403 211311.
This phase 4 rehabilitation programme is designed to improve the long term care of cardiac patients once they have completed phase 3 under the guidance of their hospital.
These sessions improve physical fitness, confidence and wellbeing as well as helping to control weight, cholesterol levels, diabetes and blood pressure.
You will start with a free consultation with our level 4 cardiac qualified instructor. After initial consultation you will move on to a 6 week circuit based programme tailored to your needs. Following the initial 6 week period you may continue with the circuit exercises or move on to our GP Referral scheme and be introduced to the gym environment.
- Fridays 12.00noon - 12.45pm
£5 per session.
To take part in these session you must have completed phase 3 with your hospital and be referred by your hospital or GP. Download the Cardiac Rehab form to complete with your healthcare professional.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01403 211311.
Our Health & Wellbeing goals
This year we are focused on the following key areas of Health and Wellbeing:
- Go beyond 15% and attract wider markets i.e the inactive and active ageing
- Work with National partners e.g NGB’s (Magnificent 7) and Sport England to be their partner of choice to meet the outcomes of the ‘Towards An Active Nation’ strategy 2016-2021
- To deliver a co-ordinated approach across the district to disabled swimming lessons and sessions
- Create all sites as being Dementia Friendly
- Maintain membership to the Dementia Action Alliance
- Create and support fundraising opportunities for The Alzheimer’s Society
- To work with Horsham Wellbeing hub to offer Falls prevention sessions within the district
- To grow the holiday camps at the 3 centres to encourage higher numbers, positive feedback and a good partnership approach
- To assist with the launch of the Active Schools platform in the local area and encourage take up and engagement through this.
Last year we achieved
- We raised an incredible £2691 for charity
- Re-introduction of inter-site trampolining competition for all children participating on lessons
- Introduction of trampoline taster days across 3 sites in the contract to offer regular trial sessions
- Introduction of 50 week per year trampolining and gymnastics programme to address research in drop in inactivity levels during holiday periods
- Introduction of weekly This Girl Can sessions
- Dementia friendly site status received for all 4 sites and 2 Dementia Champions trained
- Successful delivery and re-allocation of funds from Short Breaks for disabled children to deliver disabled swimming lessons at 3 pools and fun days for the family
- Partnership with Fit for Sport to deliver the 3 sites holiday camps every half term and school holiday period. Transition of booking process, income and staff made and first 5 holidays delivered.
Horsham District Wellbeing
Horsham District Wellbeing is a free service offering friendly information and advice about a range of health and wellbeing issues for adults living or working in the Horsham district. Wellbeing advisors can provide one-to-one support, help and advice on areas including:
- Losing weight
- Stopping smoking
- Healthy eating
- Prediabetes support
- Alcohol awareness
- Being more active
- Emotional wellbeing
We also offer a range of free courses to help you make changes and live life to the full. Have a look at our Service Guide for an overview of what we offer.
Free Health MOT
Would you like to improve your health and wellbeing? We can help you make a start.
Find out about your:
- Weight/ BMI
- Muscle Mass
- Fat Percentage
- Metabolism and physical activity
- Hydration Levels
- Bone Mass
Call our wellbeing advisors to book a Wellbeing MOT or come along to one of our drop in sessions:
The Octagon, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1RA (First Wednesday of the month 11am – 2pm)
Steyning Leisure Centre, Horsham Road, Steyning, BN44 3AA (Last Wednesday of the month 10am – 1pm)
Weight Management Programme
Join a FREE 12 week course with a 2 hour session each weight to assist you with your progress, and to set you regular achievable targets. Being outside of a healthy weight can increase your risk of developing diseases such as heart conditions, stroke, diabetes, cancers and arthritis. Learn strategies to help you create sustainable habits and behaviours to achieve your healthier lifestyle. Understand key nutrition principles, ideas around preparing and planning healthy meals and snacks, tools to monitor your progress, tips to get round barriers and triggers to eating, and ideas to relax and sleep better. Some sessions have a low impact activity class for you to join in with, a weekly weigh in, a resource pack of references, and a food & exercise diary to help you remember what you have learnt and keep on track.
If you’re not already active why not sign up to a FREE Get Active course to help you along the way? Our ‘Get Active’ courses aim to support and guide you through your first steps to getting active or getting back into activity. We offer a number of courses including Multi-Activity, Exercise to Music, Learn to Run and Walking Football. For more information about the courses please visit the Being Active section of our website
Alcohol Wellbeing Service
The free one to one sessions provide confidential support for anyone concerned about their drinking. The service offers alcohol specific advice and information, motivational support to gain control over your drinking as well as access to other lifestyle support services. To find out more please visit our website or call 01403 215191 or 07789 943167.
Our FREE 15 week courses are designed to improve your strength and balance, maintain your mobility and keep you independent. Courses are run in locations across the district. For more information visit our website or contact us by phone on 01403 215111 to register for a course in your area.
For more information on these courses, or to register for the next available course that best suits you please visit our wellbeing website for details.
Contact Details You can contact us by