National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
NPLQ is widely accepted by swimming pools in the UK and Ireland as a minimum qualification as a role of a lifeguard within the swimming pool.
The NPLQ course includes 3 sections:
- Section 1 - The lifeguard and the Law, Swimming Pool and Supervision
- Section 2 - Intervention and Rescue and Emergency Action Plans
- Section 3 - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid.
- Section 4 - AED
The course includes swimming pool rescue skills, basic life support, basic First Aid, managing a casualty suffering from a spinal injury, managing a swimming pool environment, identifying hazards that could cause harm to users and much more.
Every candidate attending a NPLQ course must be 16-years-old at the time of taking the NPLQ final assessment and be able to:
- Jump/dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool
- Climb out unaided without ladder/steps and where the pool design allows
Successful candidates will receive:
- RLSS NPLQ certificate for each candidate
- RLSS NPLQ Lifeguard manual for each candidate
- Handouts and revision sheets for each candidate
- To Be Announced.
Working in partnership with the Royal Lifesaving Society.